Tuesday, March 11, 2008

tomorrow

The other day I was driving in my car and there was a song by Ozzy Osbourne on the radio, and I heard a phrase which I thought was “You pray tomorrow, but you're living today.” Now upon looking it up online, I found out I had heard incorrectly but it got me thinking. How often do we 'pray tomorrow', how many of our prayers live in the future and not today? We pray about what we'll be doing after college, we pray that justice may fill the world, we pray that all sorts of things will happen in the future. But the fact is we live today, and that we are to live as though there is no tomorrow.
In the Sermon on the mount Christ says: “Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”(Mat 6:34) We live today, not tomorrow, and while it is important to plan ahead somewhat, it is ridiculous and wrong for us to get to caught up in the worry about tomorrow. So rather than praying for a better tomorrow, let us live today in a way that is line with the will of God, and tomorrow will take care of ourselves. God has not called us to live our lives worrying how to save the world of tomorrow, he has called us to live our lives of humble service and love today, and to leave tomorrow, and the big picture up to him. To God be the Glory forever and ever! Amen.

No comments: